Blog Archive

Banana Split Cupcakes


Sometimes I bake something in hopes that it will be heavenly delicious.  Sometimes I bake something to feed a crowd.  But sometimes I bake something just to watch my kids eyes get big and to hear them say WOW!


These cupcakes fell into the WOW! category and they turned out to be the perfect treat for Ella's family birthday dinner.  The inspiration for these came from one of my favorite cupcake books, What's New Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.
  • I super-sized mine by starting with three jumbo muffins.   

  • For the "Ice Cream", divide a batch of white frosting into three bowls.  I used homemade cream cheese frosting (because it's my favorite), but the book suggests frosting right out of the can.



  • Leave one third of the frosting plain

  • Add 2 Tablespoons low sugar strawberry jam to the second bowl

  • Add 1 Tablespoon a cocoa powder to the third bowl.  

  • Put bowls in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes.  

  • Next, scoop the frosting with an ice cream scooper and place the mounds right on top of the cupcakes.  Yes, it's a lot of frosting, but that's what makes the kids say, WOW!




  • The "bananas" are Stella D'oro Anisette Toast dipped in yellow candy melts. 

  • Drizzle chocolate ganache on the "Vanilla" cupcake. 

  • Just before serving, top each with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry.


What birthday girl wouldn't want to dig into this?  
Fortunately for the rest of us, she shared!