Oreo Turkeys


Our Annual Oreo Turkey making all began eight years ago when Samuel was in kindergarten.  Still unaware of the overachieving alpha room-mom type, I naively volunteered to bring dessert to the kindergarten Thanksgiving Party.  In my mind I was thinking, "Two-dozen grocery store cupcakes?"  The room mom had other ideas.  "Why don't you search the internet for some cute Thanksgiving dessert ideas?  Maybe you could make something that looks like a turkey?"  Eight years ago, I had a 5-year old, a 2-year old and a baby.  I showed up to school parties with a double stroller and a diaper bag.  I barely knew what the internet was!  My competitive nature, however, spurred me on and I came across these adorable Oreo Turkeys.

Thus began my journey into food crafts and, perhaps, makes me now a little guilty of being a slightly overachieving room-mom type myself.  In any case, eight years later, I think I have these turkeys down to a science and the kids think it's a great Thanksgiving tradition!  

STEP #1


  • Do everything in assembly line fashion.  
  • Lay out all the Oreos (I use double stuffed) on a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
  • Melt about 8 ounces of chocolate in a Gallon Sized Ziploc bag.  
  • Snip the corner 1/4" or less.  This bag will be used for piping chocolate "glue"

STEP #2

  • Put a dime-sized dot of glue on the lower center part of the Oreo.
  • Working quickly, add one Whopper to the top of the "glue" spot.


STEP #3

  • Working 3 or four Oreos at a time, pipe on chocolate to the remaining top portion of the Oreo.
  • Add five Candy Corn "feathers".  The largest Candy Corn should be in the center.

 STEP #4


  • Put a dot of chocolate on top of each Whopper.
  • Attach a Candy Corn Head.
  • Using "Writing Icing" (Not Gel) dot two blue eyes and a red "wattle" - (or is it the the "snood"?) to the head and let dry.
Enjoy!  These are actually quite tasty.  It's hard to stop at just one!



THIS POST MAY BE LINKED TO: MONDAYSMOUTHWATERING MONDAYSMADE BY YOU MONDAY,MINGLE MONDAY , HOME SAVVY A TO ZTUESDAYSMUSHKI LOVES MY STUFF TUESDAYS AND THE TABLE, TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY,TWO MAIDS A BAKING, TIP JUNKIE ,GET YOUR CRAFT ON, CRAZY SWEET TUESDAYS!  TEA PARTY TUESDAY  MANDY'S RECIPE BOX WEDNESDAYSSHOW AND TELLWORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAYTHIS CHICK COOKSLADY BEHIND THE CURTAINGINGER SNAP CRAFTS,  THURSDAYS IT’S A KEEPER THURSDAYSSTRUT YOUR STUFFFULL PLATE THURSDAYS , CHIC & CRAFTY PARTY, THRIFTY THURSDAYS  FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAYGROCERY CART CHALLENGEFOOD ON FRIDAYSFRIDAY POT LUCK, TATERTOTS AND JELLO,  SWEET TOOTH FRIDAY,,  FRIDAY FAVORITES,  FUSION FRIDAYS FRIDAY FOOD , BACON TIME SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFF SUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAYAWELL SEASONED LIFE