Blog Archive

Slow Cooker Applesauce


I went with the first graders to the apple orchard last week and we got to pick our own apples!
Of course, I bought some apples, too.  And some Apple Hand Pies.  And some Apple Doughnuts. 
Apples are good for you, you know.


Since I was so excited about the arrival of fall and all the autumnal delights that go with it, I decided to make some applesauce. My slow cooker is perhaps my favorite kitchen appliance.  My husband got me this stainless steel beauty for Christmas one year.  I still love him for it. I love how you can make dinner in the morning and feel good about it all day. It's a multi-tasker's dream.


For the applesauce, peel and cube 3 pounds of apples (about 8).  Use firm, slightly tart apples.  
I used a combination of Granny Smith and Rome Beauty.


Add the cinnamon, brown sugar and lemon and stir.


Cook for four hours on high.
Mash the apples with a fork or spoon, leaving a few chunks.


The best part is that it fills your house all day with the delicious aroma of apple pie!



Slow Cooker Applesauce

3 pound apples, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours.
When the apples are tender, mash with a spoon or fork.