Blog Archive

Pumpkin Chicken Chili


I love fall and I love my slow cooker and when the two collide, I experience domestic bliss.  I was inspired last year by a Pork and Pumpkin Chili recipe I found in Food Network magazine, but after reading through the ingredient list, I realized I needed to substitute nearly every item!  With four grade school kids to feed, poblanos and chipotles just don't go over well!

This chili, however, DID go over well and I love how it incorporates my favorite seasonal vegetable (or is it a fruit?) - PUMPKIN!


I made this recipe twice.  Once by pre-browning the meat and sauteing the onions and garlic, and once by just dumping everything in.  After much extended research, I'm happy to report that you may just go ahead and dump away!  The dumping batch turned out equally as well, if not better!


Here's the hardest part - chop up the onions!


Don't forget the garlic.  Chop these up, too!


Dump them in the Slow Cooker.


Dump the cubed chicken on top.


And the tomatoes.  And the pumpkin.


 And the chiles.  And the lager.  No tasting.  It's still morning.


Add a cup of chicken stock and the spices.
If you haven't tried Modenaceti's Balsamic Glaze, you need to get some.
I put it in everything.  It adds a nice depth of flavor.

Give the chili a stir, put the lid on and walk away.


While your kids are setting the table, chop up the spinach and add it to the chili.
Look how pretty it is!


If you really want to get fancy, top it with Pumpkin Cream Sauce.  
(See Recipe Below.)

All my kids loved this.  Even my husband, who is often suspicious when it comes to unusual food combinations, said it was the best chili he had ever eaten!



Pumpkin Chicken Chili
by Rachel @ Simple Girl

Ingredients
2 medium onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 28 ounce can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
2 small cans green chiles
1 12-ounce bottle of lager
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Modenaceti's Balsamic Glaze
(or 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar)
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 bag fresh spinach, chopped

Directions
Chop onions and garlic and place in bottom of a large slow cooker.  Slice uncooked chicken and into 1" cubes and place on top of onions.  Add tomatoes, green chiles, pumpkin, beer, stock and spices.  Stir and cover.  Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.  About 20 minutes before serving, chop spinach and add to chili.  Adjust seasoning as needed.

Serve with grated cheese and pumpkin cream, if desired.

Pumpkin Cream

Mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 3 tablespoons of pumpkin and salt to taste.  Chill until ready to serve.