Blog Archive

Fruitcakes With Meringue Mushrooms {MSC}



Whenever my kids are faced with a task that seems just too monumental to complete, I tell them to break it down into baby steps.  Taking my own advice, here are the baby steps I took to complete this month's Martha Stewart Cupcake Club Challenge - Fruitcakes with Meringue Mushrooms!

DAY 1 - The Fruitcake



OK, let's be honest.  I've never been a big fan of the fruitcake.  This fruitcake however, was filled with high quality, delicious ingredients like Medjool Dates, Turkish Apricots and Turkish Smyrna Figs.  Since I AM a big fan of the Fig Newton, I knew we were off to a good start!


It also called for lots of hazelnuts and Frangelico, a hazelnut liqueur.  And since I'm also a big fan of Nutella, I knew these ingredients would be a plus as well.  When all was assembled, the add-ins and the batter were of approximately equal proportion.


The recipe stated that this batter would make 12 cupcakes.  I ended up making 18.  (OK, so maybe I didn't fill them full enough!

DAY 2 - The Meringue


I used my mom's tried and true Seven-Minute Frosting Recipe for the mushrooms, which seemed to work out fine.  I mean, is there really such a thing as a perfect mushroom?  To make the tops, pipe a circle onto some parchment and press down the pointy tips with a wet finger.  To make the stems, pipe and pull up.  Don't worry.  They are suppose to look like that!  Bake in a 175 degree oven for about 45 minutes.


Due to time constraints, these cupcakes went to the church luncheon without mushroom toppers.
I thought they still looked pretty!

DAY 3 - The Mushrooms



The mushrooms were actually fun to make and looked real, despite my feeble efforts!
  • Step 1:  Melt dark chocolate and spread on the underside of the mushroom caps.
  • Step 2:  Spread melted white chocolate on top of that.
  • Step 3:  Use a toothpicks to create gills.  Use the same toothpick to make a hole in the center.
  • Step 4:  Using white chocolate as glue, insert the pointy side of the stem into the mushroom hole.


A dusting of cocoa powder and VOILA!  Cute little mushrooms!

These little cupcakes make a big statement and hold their own any against fruitcake naysayer.  While the kids would only pick off and eat the meringue mushrooms, I thought the cake itself was a delicious treat! (Which would explain why I secretly ate the cake they left behind!)  Thanks to Rebecca at Beurrista for today's selection and encouraging us to rise to the challenge!